SO MUCH JOY

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

July 29, 2009

"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears, we dance for hopes, we dance for screams, we are the dancers, we create the dreams. "
-Albert Einstein


I have said that I believe that music soothes the soul. It is not uncommon in our home to have the music turned up loud and dance around the family room. Alarmingly though, I have developed this "move". It is the move I have seen mother do for years. I liken it to using reprimands on your own children that your mother used on you as a kid. After the words roll out of your mouth, you think when did I become my mother? You do not intend to use those "classics" from you childhood. They just seem to come out. This is the same premise of the dance "move". I have no intention on using it, I know that it is not "hip", not part of the now. However, when caught up in the moment of the music it rears its ugly head.



I will try to explain so that you can get a visual. It requires your arms at your side bent at the elbow and your hands out front of you. The critical part of executing this move is that you must have your thumbs up. (I know all of my relatives reading this are nodding their heads, they have witnessed this move at either their own wedding or that of another family members'.)




My sister and I will proudly tell you we had some awesome "moves" in the eighties. Not to mention, awesome eighties hair ( I will save that topic for another day). Fast forward 20 years and as I dance around the living room my "moves" are not a throw back to the eighties like you would expect (a little running man spiced with the cabbage patch, oh and lest we forget the sprinkler). I don't know when it happened, or how it happened, all I know is that it just happened. I don't know what caused the "move" to emerge. I have tossed around a couple of different theories, maybe it is age that drives the "move", or the extra weight I have put on, or possibly as you loose your "hipness" you are no longer able to suppress the "move".



So as the girls and I dance around the living room to our favorite songs, my nine year old, my youngest, my baby, LJP, falls to the ground and covers her eyes with her hands, and she exclaims, "Mom your dance moves are burning my eyes!!!"


Wishing you many moments of laughter until next time......




K

1 comment:

  1. Honey you can come dance with me anytime and you won't burn my eyes. Logging off as I do Mom's thumbs up strut down the hallway.

    ReplyDelete