SO MUCH JOY

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August 12, 2009

"The best memories come from the most imperfect moments."


-Kris Palmer


I was meeting today with a customer (SA-W) of mine who I have worked with for the last 8 months. She is in the process of buying a home with her fiance, getting married this weekend and starts her second year of law school next week. Needless to say she has a tremendous amount of stress right now. SA-W and I were discussing her home purchase (an event that has been very frustrating for them) (not because of me, of course), school starting and the wedding. She indicated that she received a phone call from the lady making her wedding cake telling her that she was quitting.


As I tried to lighten the situation, I offered to power out some cupcakes, I gave her the sage advice that everything will work out and then out of nowhere I came up with the quote above. And we agreed that it was true...


I would like to share with you a page out of my "not such a great parenting moment" book... When my oldest (JMH) was about 4 we were living in Minnesota, my family and my inlaws were all in Illinois. So as I hastily prepared for Christmas that year, I bought both the kids new Christmas outfits, frantically wrapped all of the presents and tried to get the laundry and housework done so that we could get on the road for our 360 mile trek to Illinois from Minnesota.


We rolled into town (my parents house) and had to immediately get ready for dinner with my husbands entire family plus extended family. As I was trying to get ready, my dad was helping me with JMH and trying to put on the new shoes I bought him to go with his Christmas outfit. As JMH is crying my dad is telling me that the shoes I bought were too small and wouldn't fit. And in my not so proudest moment I exclaimed, "I don't care if they hurt, you are wearing the shoes."


I made him wear the shoes until we got to the Christmas celebration. At that point I let him take them off. In all of the pictures that year JMH's eyes were puffy and red from all the crying. I can not tell you what presents were exchanged that year, what we had for dinner or even whose home we were at. I can tell you the memory of JMH's 4th Christmas will never be forgotten...


So to my friend SA-W, know that if you have to serve Spongebob cupcakes from the local grocer, your guests will enjoy them because they are celebrating a wonderful day with you and will talk about the cupcake for many more years than they would the original cake you picked out.


It is my dad's birthday today, tell your dad you love him and I wish you both many moments of laughter until next time.....
K

No comments:

Post a Comment