SO MUCH JOY

Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009

"Do you believe in computer dating?"
"Only if the computers really love each other."



Groucho Marx

First let me say that my mom and dad would have celebrated their 44th wedding anniversary this last week. And I have spent some time reflecting on this.

My friend MC and I have spent the last couple of weeks giving the online dating world a whirl. I have not been successful in meeting my life lasting mate but I have found the world of online dating very interesting.


I have determined that we all have the same needs. We all long for emotional and physical companionship. Some profiles will be direct in what they are looking for and others are not. I have been contacted by married men, men who say they are single but really are married, men who have been single for awhile and have kids at home as well as men who are single and empty nesters.

When I read the profiles of these men it occurs to me that when people sit in the isolation of their home and computer they are able to convey to others that they are perfect. For instance, I read a lot of profiles that state they are loving, caring, is a gentleman, loves long romantic walks, holding hands and even staying in and cuddling with their partner, etc... it appears to be everything men think women want to hear. And then I look at the pictures and I think to myself, "if these are really all of the things you like to do why are the pictures in your profile of you fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc.....and would your ex partner use those same words to describe you?"

Now I must say I have always believed that there are 3 sides to every story. Your version, my version and the truth. Perception and recollection are not one in the same. In no way am I implying that in general men are responsible for the demise of a relationship.

It is also odd that when people are involved in this online dating thing there doesn't seem to be any social barriers or etiquette. I could never imagine someone introducing me to a man and the man's first statement is "Hey baby, you are cute". There is rarely a "Hi", "How are you" statement in the first email.


My friend MC laughs all the time at me because I will not email any men. I tell her I am still a believer in chivalry. I will wait for a man to email me first. Yes you can have standards and participate in the online dating thing...


And every evening I log on to the website and hope that with all of its formulas and personality models the website will have found me that man who loves shoes, sunglasses and hair care products.

Wishing you many moments of laughter until next time.



K


No comments:

Post a Comment