SO MUCH JOY

Thursday, February 18, 2010

February 19, 2010

“Sacrificing your happiness for the happiness of the one you love, is by far, the truest type of love.”

-author unknown

I never really gave much thought to the notion that as parents we sacrifice many things for our children. My children have brought me more joy, pride and satisfaction that I have never considered being their mom a sacrifice. I have spent more hours in a cold ice arena than I have in a spa. I have listened to more band/choir concerts than I have rock concerts. I have spent more money at Abercrombie Fitch and Hollister than I have at Macys or Nordstroms. And I have watched more Disney TV than Food Network. Never once has it crossed my mind that I am making sacrifices.
Until a few weeks ago. My middle daughter turned 16 in January. We have spent 5864 days together and I would not trade one of them. She so badly wanted her hair professionally cut and colored. So of course I obliged. I love anything that has to do with hair styles, so I was not hard to convince. We went to the mall the Sunday before her birthday and she got her hair colored darker than her natural color and over 8 inches cut. We left the mall and she was radiating beautiful. Not because her new "do" changed the way she looked. But because she felt so good inside.

Isn't it amazing how good a girl can feel when they get their hair done. I know that I enjoy my time at the salon getting mine done. But I had to make a choice. I cancelled my standing appointment that occurs every 6 weeks for a cut and color and spent the money on my girl and her 16th birthday. Now, I stand in the bathroom applying my $8.00 bottle of hair color, something I haven't had to do myself for over 10 years, and the light bulb went on. When a mom fore goes the necessity of a haircut and color and tries to cover the gray on her own, the ultimate sacrifice has just occurred. This must be what every one talks about. So next time you see a woman and you think "She could use a spin through the salon to fix that mess" remember she very well could have sacrificed her beauty stash for one of her girls....

Wishing you many moments of laughter until next time.


K





No comments:

Post a Comment