SO MUCH JOY

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Sex is like air, it's not important unless you aren't getting any."

~author unknown

I took a "mental health" day today. I just could not drag myself out of bed. I have been in a battle with low level depression for the last two years. I have been able to keep it under control with the help of a little prozac and a lot of laughter.

However the last couple of months I have been in a terrible funk that I can't seem to shake. I know the source of the funk however I can not seem to manage or think myself out of it.

As I sit with my middle daughter she is concerned because she has noticed something is a little off. She asked me if I have been taking my happy pills. To which I replied yes.

Now here is where I remind you that I have said, since she was a very little girl that my middle daughter, SJH, is very responsible, level headed and studious. She was the one that wanted to practice fire drills at home, she had mapped out a meeting spot outside of our home in the event of an emergency and was always willing to go to the "safe spot" in the house when a tornado warning was issued.


She proceeds to tell me that sex creates dopamine which releases a "happy" hormone in the brain. And maybe that would help me feel better. To which I respond, "You need to be in a loving committed relationship, and I am not. I am going to practice abstinence in support of you and your practice of abstinence. I will wait until you turn twenty and I expect you will wait until then as well," I said.

Our own little abstinence pact, I felt like we should have done something ceremonial.

As we sat quietly thinking about the discussion, SJH said "what about masterbation?" Urgh. I don't think I am prepared to go down this conversational path. I said "what are you talking about?" "For the happy hormone to make you feel better."

I should mention, I got a letter today from my shrink indicating that it has been a significant amount time since our last visit. I think I will call for an emergency appointment tomorrow. Karma is a facinating thing, isn't it?

Wishing you many moments of laughter until next time.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment