SO MUCH JOY

Monday, February 8, 2010

February 8, 2010

"We covered 'Hey, Jude." My father panicked, misunderstanding the lyrics and thinking our lead singer was belting out 'Hey, Jew" to a roomful of Holocaust survivors."

-Ben Stiller

I wonder how many people have misheard lyrics to songs and kept singing the wrong lyrics in blissful ignorance for years. I recall as a kid my mother would sing in the car and when she got to parts of the lyrics she did not know she would hum. No longer do people hum through the unknown words, we sing what we think we heard whether it makes sense or not.

My youngest daughter LJP was watching Billy Madison this weekend. I noticed that she was singing a song that had a very familiar hook. I asked her what she was singing and she replied, "Cloris Douglas". I am thinking I know this tune but the words do not make sense. I asked where she had heard it and I was not familiar with all the songs in the movie. So as the night went on and she and I continued to repeat this chorus, I finally realized that the tune was Billy Squier's The Stroke.

Now if you pause right here and sing "Cloris Douglas" in the right tune of "stroke me stroke me". You will start to crack up. I told my daughter that she had the wrong lyrics, I found the song on the internet, printed the lyrics and played it for her. It was hilarious. Everytime I hear that song I will sing the chorus as "Cloris Douglas".

A few years ago, Sawyer Brown had a song with lyrics of, "6 days on the road and I gonna make it home tonight". My middle child, SJH, was convinced that the lyrics were, "6 days on the road and I'm gonna comb my hair tonight".

Some of the most popular misheard lyrics are:


R.E.M's Losing my Religion:


Misheard: "Let's pee in the corner, let's pee in the Spotlight."
Actual: "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight."


Creedence Clearwater Rivival's Bad Moon Rising:


Misheard: "There's a bathroom on the right."
Actual: "There's a bad moon on the rise."


Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer


Misheard: "It doesn't make a difference if were naked or not."
Actual: "It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not."


Johnny Rivers' Secret Agent Man


Misheard: "Secret Asian Man."
Actual: "Secret Agent Man."

Now, I must tell you we have always had an open for discussion policy with my kids. If they have questions about anything (sex, drugs, alcohol, etc) we will talk about it. If I don't know the answer, I will get it. Keep in mind, I am 43 and still waiting for my mom to tell me about sex.

I will also tell you that I think I am pretty hip when it comes to contemporary music. I listen to a lot of hip hop, top 40, pop, etc, because the kids love music and it is always on in the house.

As I chase the girls out the door to the car this morning to go to school. Lil Wayne's song, Bedrock is on the radio. And as we sing the words to the song, my youngest, my baby, LJP turns to me and says "Mom, what is a G spot". Crap, couldn't she have misheard those lyrics??????

Wishing you many moments of laughter until next time.



K










No comments:

Post a Comment